From time to time you may experience problems with your snails. Very little is known about what these illnesses are, what causes them, and even less is known about treatments. Unfortunately it seems more time is spent on increasingly more ingenious ways to kill them.
Because of this, the following information is a mix of whatever research is possible and available, theory and hypothesis, logical thinking and the result of various discussions with a large group of snail owners. It is with the help of the community at large, that these problems can at least be documented. Where possible I have tried to link to example incidents.
Hopefully, we can find some effective solutions to the majority of these problems but for now I'm afraid you'll have to be content with various suggestions and discussion.
Snails can exist without food for quite a long time, possibly even months in some cases. You shouldn't start worrying until your snail hasn't eaten for a few days. Your snail may be eating when you are not around. If you only suspect it is not eating then isolate the snail by putting it a clean tank, and place new food in. This will allow you to observe for eaten food and faeces.
If you are sure it is not eating then the following may be of some use.
There are a huge variety of reasons why this may be the case, so let's start with the most obvious first.
- If the snail seems weak try putting it on the food.
- If you think your snails are particularly inactive in general then please click here.
- If your snail has had an accident or break, it is unlikely it will eat until the repair is well underway.
- Have you tried a wide variety of foods that you know your species will accept? If not, click here for general suggestions and here to check for any extra notes for the species in question.
- Have you tried soft foods such as cooked, parboiled or mashed fruit and vegetables that may be easier for the snail to eat?
If none of the above apply, and you can see no other outward signs of illness then the following sections may be of some relevance: